Friday 8 November 2013

Research: Counting Cuts in Editing Muse Comparison

I looked at Muse's song Uprising as it sounds similar to Enigma's song in the same genre and style. I listened to the first 40 seconds without looking at the video and counted where I thought cuts would be. I counted 25, but when watching the video back there was only 16 cuts. The shots were longer than I had previously thought, these shots had action within them or were a pan/track. The first 5 seconds has a repetitive beat, like it was on a loop. It looped three times, so I assumed there were three cuts. However, in the video it was one long shot and once the regular pattern had changed it had cut. For the next 8 seconds it focused on a piece of action, but from different angles. The cuts followed smoothly with the lead guitar and it built up to the first verse. All the shots are fairly long and follow more of the video's narrative/concept. The timings of cut is more or less determined by the lead guitar. 

2 comments:

  1. How will this impact on your own editing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the action in the video (powder paint) the shots will be longer and not follow the 4, 4 shot beat which is consistent until the segment of the song I plan to add the powder paint to. When considering my own editing, I need and want to make the shots similar lengths with the action sequences as an exception. I want to keep the editing consistent, less messy and look like the shots follow on from one another.

    ReplyDelete